The LTE subscription market in the Asia Pacific region (APAC) is predicted to nearly double over the next year, reaching 72.1 million by the end of 2013, according to a new report by ABI Research, The report bases the prediction on the increased quarter-over-quarter growth of 60.92 percent for the fourth quarter 2012 to reach 34.6 million LTE subscriptions as well as the assertion that the market has not yet peaked in its growth potential.
“The operators in South Korea have aggressively promoted LTE since launch,” said Marina Lu, ABI Research associate. “For example, SK Telecom, the largest operator in terms of subscriptions, had gained seven million LTE subscribers by the end of 2012, and aims to secure 13 million by the end of 2013, a feat that will mean 50 percent of its subscribers will be on LTE.”
The report, Asia-Pacific Mobile Subscriber Market Data, examined detailed market trends and market forecasts in mobile subscriber adoption by operator, country, technology, device type, and subscriber market-share. Here are a few of the report’s findings:
- Asia Pacific 4G cellular market reached 3.45 billion subscriptions in the fourth quarter of 2012, an 8.7 percent year-over-year increase, resulting in an 87.5 percent cellular penetration in the region.
- “The strong growth trend of mobile subscription is expected to keep up until 2015, where it will surpass 100 percent,” said Jake Saunders, ABI vice president and practice director of core forecasting.
- China Unicom, second largest APAC mobile subscription operator, experienced 22 percent year-over-year growth in its mobile subscribers in fourth quarter 2012 to reach 239 million subscribers.
- China Telecom, second highest growing operator behind China Unicom, experienced 16.89 percent year-over-year growth in its mobile subscribers in fourth quarter 2012 to reach 160 million subscribers.
- Indonesia’s Telkomsel, third fastest growing operator, experienced 15.44 percent year-over-year growth in its mobile subscribers in fourth quarter 2012 to reach 125 million subscribers.
- APAC smartphone penetration region-wide reached 19.4 percent at the end of 2012, and is expected to approach 26.5 percent by the end of 2013.
(For additional information contact: ABI Research, 516-624-2500, www.abiresearch.com.)